Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolutions

It's important to caveat any New Year's resolution with all the resolutions I've failed to keep over the years. There have been a lot, from resolving to be the youngest paleontologist at the age of six to resolving to be the youngest astronaut at the age of seven (I still say I came really close to both those goals). More recently, I set the goal of climbing Pike's Peak a few years ago. Since then, I haven't even hiked up Clingman's Dome here in Tennessee, but I'm still holding on to the dream (I hiked up a really steep hill just the other day). I also resolved to hike 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2010. I ended up going just over 20 miles, but in my defense have you ever hiked with a Blendtec and a 50 mile extension cord on your back?? Last year, I swore I would write a book about my grandparents. Instead, I interviewed a lot of relatives and started a blog so that I could write more about myself (writing a book is REALLY hard).

There've been others; some I'm still too embarrassed to admit. Needless to say, there's no guarantee I'll keep my resolution this year. Maybe by saying it in a public forum, I'll be less likely to break it? Nah. I have no shame at this point in my life. Regardless, I resolve to write more blog posts in 2014. Writing has been therapeutic for me. It helps me to talk about my medical issues in an open forum. I like demonstrating to people that having a feeding tube does not automatically mean a death sentence or hiding from the public eye. Also, I have a hard time putting my feelings into words in front of friends and family. I'm much more capable of expressing myself through my writing.

So, shall I put up specific numbers here? Really throw down the gauntlet? Ok, I vow to publish one blog post a week.

There, I said it.

And these won't be one word blog posts either. There will be no July 17, 2014, post that reads, "This is a blog post." Nope, these will be substantive posts. Posts that may make you, the reader, laugh, or cry, or go "Hmmm," or say, "this dude is an idiot!" or think "this blog represents everything wrong with the world and may be a sign of the impending apocalypse."

Is it possible I won't reach my goal? Yes. Am I likely to break this resolution by Feb. 1? There is a decent chance. But at least you can shame me if I fail. Kindly point out that the late Eric O'Gorman, who is my idol in every way, put out 123 posts on his blog in 2010, and I'm only trying to write 52. Or, you could not so kindly say, "Liebenow, you're a LOSER!! HA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!"

Let the writing begin!!!!



i think i'll take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment