Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Jesse Jones


He's got a button and I have a PEG. Otherwise we could be twins.

I've mentioned my friend Jesse Jones previously. He had throat cancer in 1984 and it relapsed in 1987 and 1988. He received a very high dose of radiation to the left side of his head and neck to eradicate the cancer and it left him with symptoms very similar to my own (can't use his left arm, limited feeling on the right side, eats through a feeding tube). As an added bonus, Jesse is unable to speak above a whisper and he has to be on oxygen 24/7. 

We both like to throw our left arms around

Jesse has dedicated the rest of his life to helping others in similar circumstances:  tube feeders, cancer survivors, and all those on oxygen. He runs a website called drinkyourmeals.com. It's a great site where you can access more than 200 liquid diet recipes for people who are unable to chew or for tubies like me--or if your on a juice cleanse or something. Among other things, you can also build your own recipes, create shopping lists and connect with other people on a liquid diet for assistance and psychological support. Jesse has been blending his meals far longer than I have (12+ years), so he knows a thing or two about blended diets.

I'm extremely envious of Jesse for two reasons. The first is that he has this view from his apartment in Honolulu:

Grace was ready to move in

The second reason is Jesse's recumbent trike. Check out his awesome ride:


With 21 speeds, speedometer/heart-rate monitor and a sunroof!

Note the windshield, rear basket, clip-in petals, I.V. pole for hydrating fluids, and the fact that he has 21 speeds to choose from.

I also have a trike. My friend, Mark Brogan--a disabled veteran here in Knoxville--got a recumbent trike at a fundraising event. He wasn't getting any use out of it and he heard that I was trying to get one through the Veteran's Administration, so he generously gave me his. I love my trike. I ride on it most mornings to the grocery store, to Target, to Trader Joe's or out to the Knoxville Greenway near my house where I can ride to a whole lot of other stores (or, you know, exercise and stuff). Yet after seeing Jesse's beautiful, tricked-out trike I have to admit I'm a little jealous. Lets look at me on my trike:


7 lousy speeds, and how can I tell how fast my heart's beating??



Jesse is taking part in a 100 mile bike ride on September 28. He's riding in honor of the child of one of his best friends, who lost his battle with cancer. He's also doing this to inspire people on oxygen, cancer survivors, tubies, and anyone going through health issues to show us that these setbacks don't need to keep us from achieving our goals. You can follow Jesse's training on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tS4ew7R2gE

He also has a fundraising website to collect funds to help him train if you'd like to support him on his journey: http://gogetfunding.com/project/ride-of-the-century



Still waiting for him to deliver my pizza...might be a little cold.

Now, of course, I'm looking for a 101 mile bike race in Tennessee just to one-up Jesse and prove I can do it (preferably a race with no hills). You Rock, Jesse!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Aloha Liebenow clan. Miss you Grace! Who knew you could play the violin? Sweet! Hey Brian, how about if we ask Julie at Real Food Blends to make a new blend called Pizzazz made with fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, whole wheat dough and turkey sausage. That way I don't have to worry about getting that darn pizza to you! Ha! Or we could go Hawaiian and use fresh pineapple and ham. Party on! Didn't forget you Betsy. Aloha oe.

    ReplyDelete