Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Clogs

Clogs are annoying. Depending on where I am and what my mood is, they can be SUPER annoying.

No, not these clogs.



Not these either (could've shared a really gross picture here)


I can't possibly claim to be the first to write about dealing with clogs in the feeding tube. Eric O'Gorman has an excellent guide on his tubefeeding blog YouStartWithATube. He also has a section devoted to it in his book, Complete Tubefeeding. If you're confronted with a clog, I recommend you start there. I want to talk about the way my attitude shapes how I handle clogs.

Blendtec has been letting me down lately. I know, I can't believe I just wrote that either! Don't get me wrong, Blendtec's customer support has been superb. They've sent me a free blender and two free containers. I make Almond butter all the time in my Twister Jar. The Wildside Jar is perfect for large dinners when I eat out. It's been extremely convenient to tell restaurant chefs to just hit the 'Soups/Syrups/Fondues' button and let the blender do the rest. Up until a couple months ago, this has worked perfectly.

But lately, ever since my trip to Snowmass, Colorado, the blends haven't been smooth enough. This always happens when I'm away from home too. The latest incident was in North Carolina. My sister and her two little boys came to visit from Nürnberg, Germany, last month. We went to visit our grandparents over Memorial Day weekend and stayed in a cabin near their house. 


Superman--the kid on the left--likes to randomly say "UNDERWEAR-SOCKS" or "BUTT-NUTS" What's up with that?





Three cousins with their grandparents. Hard to believe how different Grammy' & Grandpa's lives were at Grace's age.





Four generations. My big sis is on the far left and Aunt Susan is on the far right. Why's there an Asian kid in the photo??


My sister loves to cook and made some really delicious, elaborate meals during our stay. The last night, we grilled out at the cabin. I put a buffalo burger, salmon, butternut squash, and broccoli in my Blendtec for dinner. As usual, I hit the 'Soups/Syrups/Fondues' button. I've never had a problem with broccoli in my blend, especially cooked broccoli, but this time there were still chunks left over in the blender. I thought I could force them through the tube if I pushed hard enough, but no such luck. I had numerous clogs. Each time, I would refrain from pushing hard enough to cause a complete mess--I've learned my lesson there. I dumped out the syringe-full that I couldn't force through my tube, walked to the sink, and cleaned out my syringe. The offending chunk of broccoli was too large to get through the syringe and get stuck in my tube. This actually made it easier to clean out because I didn't have to deal with food caught in my tube. I put the pitcher back on the Blendtec, and ran it at a high speed for about half a minute. I thought everything was smooth enough, but when I sat back down and tried eating I quickly had more clogs.

I got so frustrated that I finally just gave up eating the dinner, dumped out my blend, and had an Ensure that I brought on the trip. Only problem is, I failed to close the side port on my feeding tube after I cleaned it at the sink. So, when I poured the Ensure into my tube, I dumped a large portion of it in my lap (see handy diagram below).


I frequently wet my pants.



Perfect.

Meanwhile, the rest of the family already finished eating, cleaned the kitchen, and they were singing and dancing next to the table. The whole time, while I was dealing with numerous clogs, I kept my mouth shut and avoided complaining. I'm more 'the quiet one' in the family. I normally don't contribute much in the way of conversation. Part of the reason for my silence is that I'm harder to understand and I get out of breath when I talk too much. Another reason is that we were always taught to 'be tougher' growing up. Complainers were looked down on. The very best people in our view could get knocked down, pick themselves up, and keep fighting without a word. My grandfather is the epitome of stoicism. He's a self-described "man of few words" who lived through the Great Depression and was awarded both the Silver and Bronze Stars during World War II. Another reason for my silence is I'm pretty non-confrontational. I don't like to make waves or cause a big scene if I'm having trouble eating. 

Anyway, that's more stuff to talk to a therapist about, but the problem with suffering in silence over clogs is that the frustration and embarrassment--not to mention the hunger--builds up inside you and can make dealing with the problem ten times worse.



"Serenity now......insanity later" http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_9MglZrhs
I've found that overcoming clogs is so much better when I talk about it openly with the people around me and look at it from a humorous perspective. It also helps me immensely to be part of tubefeeding groups online and swap clog stories.

I recently asked a couple groups I follow on Facebook if anybody had any really good clog stories. I got some fantastic responses! 

Shifra shared this story: "Oh gosh, where haven't I spilled the feed!!! When we did gravity feeds we spilled it everywhere. Now that we push the feeds it's much better. I think the worst was in the car when I was feeding my son and somehow it spurted out onto the ceiling and all over me and him. That was a huge mess. :-(  "

Megan writes, "My feeding tube got clogged with riboflavin (which turns cement-like if you don't mix it with enough water) and when I finally pushed hard enough to get it to unclog, it went, well, everywhere :)" Megan was kind enough to include pictures so we can fully share in her misery:

We call this "getting baptized"

Katelyn said, "I get so frustrated with clogs (lol) I literally have temper tantrums like a little kid. Yesterday I got clogged and we tried to flush with coke and it literally sprayed ALL OVER the bathroom. Like, full 360 spray covered the entire bathroom and my husband. He just looked at me and shook his head. Was a good time."

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, but Courtney told a very entertaining story to the group, "This is going to sound bad, but my friend told me nutmeg can get you high (I get rx med marijuana for seizures but didn't have another rx until the next visit) so I just dumped the nutmeg in without water and then I put water in the syringe. Basically did everything ass-backwards. Had to get my mom to help me unclog it. Worst lecture of my entire life. She used a turkey baster to get most of it out :o thick shit gets clogged easily, my suggestion would be use warm water to thin it down. I heard about carbonated drinks helping getting tubes unclogged but I hate that feeling."

In case you're curious, here's an entertaining article explaining how Nutmeg does, indeed, give you a high, but it also gifts you with, "dizziness, nausea, cottonmouth, paranoia, difficulty urinating and, the coup de grace, a hangover that feels like God taking a dump on your soul."  (http://www.cracked.com/article_16178_7-common-foods-that-can-actually-get-you-high.html#ixzz34T5fbQZ8)  

Another story comes from Stephanie: "I had a carrot stuck in a cranny of my GJ connector for a month. Also, my dad found me fighting with my G tube standing over the toilet and asked me what I was doing...I told him my G tube was clogged. He asked me how I clogged it...I had eaten some pizza the night before and there was an undigested red pepper floating around in my tube the next morning! Luckily I got it out!"

Kelly sprayed a blend across the room and into her husband's guitar.

Rachel shared this incident: "My husband was feeding my son in the waiting room at an appointment while I registered him. I walk back over to them and my husband says, 'Can you take care of that,' while pointing at another child in a stroller near us. There was a spray of [blended diet (BD)] all over the back of the stroller. As an added bonus, the family was not native English speakers."

Rebecca is another caregiver to a tubie: "Our 21 year old son has "girly" posters on the ceiling in his room. I was trying to get his j-tube unclogged (formula) and sprayed a group of his beach beauties. Not quite the spray tan you hear of...."

Jen said, "Our first month of BD was at an [ICU]. The first day of the diet, I ended up spraying not just any ceiling but the hotel's popcorn ceiling. It wasn't an easy explanation to make about why a green substance was on the ceiling!"

Lindsey had a couple stories: "I was in target and the pump kept beeping...I finally took pump and bag out of the backpack to inspect. I squeezed the bag too hard and the top flew off from the pressure and covered me including face and hair, my child and the contents of my cart..."

"Or there's this one...just a good ol' syringe flying out of the port this time."

More immersive baptism

Jayne writes, "We were feeding our daughter in a cafe whilst eating lunch with our other 2 daughters. The blend had beetroot in it so it was very red. We hadn't connected the extension tube correctly and so 2 x 60mls of bright red food was pushed "onto" her stomach. She looked like she had just been shot and was bleeding!! Made for a very messy cleanup!"

Finally, here's a non-clog-but-still-messy story. Sarah was, "sitting at a friend's house, on her nice black suede couch, daughter on lap, feed running. Suddenly I feel very wet, pick her up and I was soaked--along with her couch! I guess that's not a clog story, but it was so embarrassing, I had no idea what to do! There really wasn't any way for me to clean it other than trying to soak up what I could. She was so nice about it too, she had 2 little kids and said the couch wasn't new or anything and had spills and thrown up on it enough already it was no big deal. I couldn't help wishing I could clean it better though. Much more careful about where that connection is now...."

If you have one and you'd like to share it on the blog, then please respond in the comments. The most important thing, when dealing with a clog, is to have the right attitude. You're not alone! We've all been there! Laugh it off and share it on one of the tubefeeding forums so people who understand can laugh at you...er...I mean laugh with you...we're laughing with you...not at you.


3 comments:

  1. Aloha Brian! I hear you about the clogs! I just wrote a long comment and went to preview it and it got lost in web land. Ugh!

    I'm a 62 year old throat cancer survivor for 30 years. Had three it three times with surgery and radiation. I manually bolus feed using a mic-key button for last twelve years. I use a thin skewer to free food chunks stuck at the end of the tube extension. When the syringe stops and even water doesn't work I know I have a clog and off I go to the kitchen sink.

    Otherwise I get no warning and splatter everywhere. I've painted my dining area several times. Look out Jackson Pollack! It's a hum drum to clean it up but somebody has to do it! I pay close attention after that! I never was much of an artist anyway.

    Congrats on your 60 mile walk in May. I too am doing something for cancer survivors and tubefeeders. I've entered the Honolulu Century Ride, a 100 mile bike ride on September 28th. I'm doing it on a recumbent trike because I can't do two wheelers. I do You Tube updates. Here's one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvEw_k54WA.

    I may have to use the set up you use sometime in the future as I use my right arm only. I have just enough function in my left hand to loosely hold the extension tube. Did you make it yourself or buy it? Did you find a source for the red thingy that attaches to the syringe?

    Anyways, many blessings to you and your family. Keep on rocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Jesse, and Mahalo for your comment! :-)
      We appear to have very similar symptoms. Both of us with limited-to-no use of our left hand, though I was right handed to begin with so I'm lucky in that respect. Or unlucky, since I never had as much motivation to use my non-dominant hand so I lost the use of it much more quickly than I would have if my right arm had nerve damage. Does that make sense?

      Also, your voice has deteriorated more than mine. Has it steadily deteriorated over the last 30 years? How was your voice at the ten year point? I'm wondering if mine will slowly decline until I'm only talking with a whisper.

      I'm extremely impressed with your upcoming bike ride!!! 100 miles while on oxygen; eating through a feeding tube. You're an inspiration. I also ride a trike because I can't ride a two-wheel. Mine isn't nearly as tricked-out as yours. I do have both brakes on my right side and the gear shift on my right (mine is only a 7-speed). I like your bag that you hanged on the back. Is that just water? How did you set that up?

      As for my syringe holder, I got the idea from a couple in Seattle who made a holder for their son and made a couple for me. They just bought a cheap clip-lamp from Lowes or Home Depot, cut off the cord, took the head off the lamp (there's a nut that holds them on), and used the same nut to attach the steel ring that holds the syringe. I'm not sure where he got the steel ring. I couldn't find it at Lowes, but maybe it's available at other hardware stores. I lost touch with the couple a couple years ago, but I've just been re-using the ring they gave me on new clip-lamps whenever the old one gives out (the plastic clip tends to break after about a year of use).

      So, that's about it. I sent you a friend request on facebook, so when you decide to make your syringe holder send me a PM and I'll help you through it. You can buy syringe holders online. I have one from http://jofas.net/products.html but I don't like it as much as the one I made.

      I don't have a supplier for the Lopez Valve (red thingy) on my tube. I got them when I was on vacation at the Vanderbilt ER (what, don't you take vacations at the ER? :-). They gave me a handful of them, but now I've used them all and I've just been cleaning them and re-using them. It would be nice to have some new ones. My wife called the manufacturer of the Lopez Valve and they told her to encourage our local ER to get them. No luck so far; no Lopez Valves in Knoxville. I'll probably try to contact the manufacturer again when I've really run out; I can't feed myself without them.

      In your case, I'm not sure if the Lopez Valve can connect to the extension set for your button? Mine hooks up to my PEG tube; I don't have a button. But I imagine that you can still use Lopez Valve; just plug it into the tube extension.

      Thanks very much for contacting me!! If I could get my trike to Hawaii I'd join you on your 100 mile ride! :-) We are actually trying to catch a military hop (free flight) to Hawaii this summer. There are usually a couple flights from the local reserve base to Hawaii every summer, but so far we haven't had any. If we ever do make it out there I'd love to meet you and check out your trike!!! Take care,
      Brian

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete