Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I ate duck yesterday.

Here's my latest confession: I use Twitter a lot (@Traveling_Tubie). This probably isn't much of a revelation if you're a Millenial, or if you're a techno junkie. But most of my friends have never tweeted in their lives.

When I first heard about Twitter, I scoffed at the idea. All you do is tell all your followers what you're doing?? The only people who might be interested in such a thing is the Kardashians--because they're so self-absorbed--and anyone who avidly cares about the Kardashians--because they have no life. Why on earth would anyone care if I tweet that I'm going to get a haircut? Who am I so enamored with that I would check twitter to see what they had for breakfast?

It's not really like that though, and actually it turns out there are certain people I love to follow on twitter. I'm a geek, and I love to read fantasy and science fiction books. I kept this from Betsy until after she married me (Ha Ha!). You can read more about it in my road trip post. It turns out that many of the authors I like (Tad Williams, Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson, Scott Lynch, Neil Gaiman, John Scalzi...wait...you don't care do you?) are on twitter and tweet often about the projects they're working on. I love reading their tweets and sometimes they respond if I say something to them. Usually they tell me stuff like, "please stop tweeting me," or "what is wrong with you?" so I'm clearly making an impact!!

I also follow news outlets because I get news much faster on Twitter. During that Australian hostage standoff the other night, I turned to Twitter for news because I could get eye-witness accounts of what was happening. Plus I follow ESPN and CBS Sports because every team I like has a Twitter page and if I can't watch the game on TV, they tweet scores real-time on their feed. I follow the University of Tennessee women's soccer team because Grace and I like going to the games. They keep their Twitter page updated with play-by-play action during every game.

On top of this, I can follow others who inspire me. I'm interested in astronomy so I follow Neil deGrasse Tyson, the Mars Curiosity Rover, NASA, SETI, the 2013 class of NASA astronauts, and the astronauts on the ISS for pictures from space. In terms of tube feeding, I follow Real Food Blends, Vitamix, Blendtec, DrinkYourMeals, and other tubies (my current favorite is Shane Burcaw; check out his book, Laughing at my Nightmare).

But anyway, the point of me telling you this is that I follow the Washington Post's Food page on Twitter. My Aunt (not my real Aunt, but I've known her all my life and I've always called her 'Aunt') is an Editor for the Food Section of the Washington Post so I like to hear their fun recipe ideas.

It's hard to cook turkey for our family because they weigh about 100 pounds (rough estimate) these days and this is way too much meat for the three of us. Even turkey breasts have more meat than we could eat over three or four days. So, I got the idea to try duck this year. Before Thanksgiving, I bought a Peking duck at the grocery store.

The picture doesn't show the dog drooling under the counter

They are the perfect size for two or three people. I've never cooked duck before so I tweeted to the Washington Post and asked if cooking a duck was the same as cooking a turkey. They immediately responded, told me the two don't cook the same, and they gave me a link to a recipe I could use. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly.

Looks delicious, if I do say so myself (Aspen was still drooling)

Betsy said it tasted like "really good turkey;" Grace loved it.

We also had rice and a vegetable medley


I put a bunch in my Vitamix, and we still had quite a bit for leftovers today!

Betsy makes me pose like this until it pours out on my lap

If you're not on Twitter, give it a try. If you are, then follow @Traveling_Tubie. I only tweet about vitally important things (like the last time I trimmed my nose hair).

No comments:

Post a Comment