Sunday, April 14, 2013

Snowmass Trip

Last week, I had the good fortune of going to the National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic in Snowmass, CO. There were plenty of inspirational stories there; blind veterans, paraplegic, traumatic brain injury (TBI), spinal cord injuries like me. But, I was the only one I could find who eats through a tube. We stayed at the Wildwood, but mostly ate at the Westin Resort. They were AWESOME!! We ate at the Westin's Snowmass Kitchen the first night. I hadn't gotten my suitcase with my Vita-Mix yet so I didn't think I'd be able to eat dinner with Betsy and Grace. The head chef came out to our table and offered to blend my meal in the the restaurant's Vita-Mix. He also gave us his personal cell phone number and told us to call him any time if we needed help during our stay. I can't say enough good things about the people at the Westin.
 
During the week, I got the opportunity to snowboard. I haven't been since college, about 15 years ago. I had some great coacches, Michelle Schaefer and Joey Lunger. They helped me get my confidence back up and by the end, I was cruising down the slopes (with a bit of help).  I can't wait until next year's clinic!!!
"Skiers Suck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment