Monday, April 29, 2013

Rapid City

Betsy's grandmother passed away last May, so Betsy, Grace, Betsy's sister Katie, and I all traveled to Rapid City for the funeral. This was my first time taking a flight with the Vitamix.

Logistically, traveling with a feeding tube can be a bit tricky. Depending on the length of the flight, I usually carry on two or three Ensures to have on the plane or in between connecting flights. Or, I make a meal the night before and put it in a thermos to have on the plane. TSA usually doesn't give me any grief for bringing formula or meals through security. If they have any questions, I whip out my tube and tell them this is the only way I can eat. They quickly avert their eyes like, "that's too much information, dude," and they send me through with a quick frisk. It probably helps that I typically use a cane at the airport and I don't look 100% healthy so TSA can tell I've got issues.

Another concern with traveling as a tubie is how to bring the Vitamix. I have a hard suitcase that I pack it in because Vitamix Co. hasn't thought to make a travel case for their blender (doesn't everybody bring their Vitamix wherever they go?).
All I think when I look at this is that we need a new kitchen floor
I usually put towels or bubble wrap around the Vitamix. Even so, these blenders cost a few hundred dollars, so I'm always hesitant to check it as luggage. Plus, if I have a connecting flight, there's the risk my blender gets lost, so then I'm stuck away from home, forced to go out and look for formula. However, I still prefer checking the bag because I'd rather not deal with getting it through security or lugging it on the plane. I just try to book flights with no connections, and make sure I've cushioned the blender really well. So far--knock on wood--I haven't had any problems with a damaged or lost Vitamix.

So, for this trip, we got a direct flight from Atlanta (where Katie lives) to Rapid City. Katie traveled with us to attend the funeral and "help out" with Grace.

A few words about Katie.

She is Betsy's twin sister and they talk on the phone multiple times a day. With the invention of the iPad and FaceTime (thanks a lot, Apple), we now get to see each other multiple times a day...Multiple times a day...Multiple times a day. All. The. Time. Katie is there when I wake up (whenever I see her she drawls, "Hey Brian, watcha doin," not as a question; more of a "Hi Brian, I'm here...again..."); Katie is there when I go to bed ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"). Katie's face will look out from our iPad as we watch TV ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"), playing with Grace ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"), in the kitchen ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"), even outside ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"). Betsy sets up the iPad so Katie can eat dinner with us ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"). I wouldn't be surprised if Betsy or Grace left Katie in the bathroom one day, and I'm sitting there doing my business when suddenly I hear, "Hey Brian, watcha doin."

If I don't answer the phone, Katie panics and calls even more. She then proceeds to yell at her sister for not answering the phone. In her defense, Betsy yells at Katie if she doesn't answer the phone. Actually, they yell at each other quite a bit. I was too ill to travel to China when we adopted Grace so Katie went in my place. They videotaped the whole experience and it would be touching to watch if these two twins weren't constantly bickering with each other about EVERYTHING the ENTIRE time. By the end of the trip, they were barely speaking to each other.
The Wonder-Twins in China. This is early; when they were still smiling.
But that didn't stop them from talking on the phone several times as soon as Katie went back home to Atlanta ("Hey Brian, watcha doin"). So, for our trip to SD, it was less Katie helping out with Grace and more being responsible for two kids.

TripAdvisor gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars
Anyway, the flight there actually went well. There were no problems with security. I had an Ensure on the plane. When we arrived in Rapid City, I discovered that the blender was still in good shape. Betsy's father had driven out to SD early and he was at the airport to pick us up. We stayed at the Alex Johnson Hotel in downtown Rapid City. The first night, we ate at Tally's Silver Spoon across the street from the hotel. The service was excellent, and I'm told the food was good (though, again, they could have served me slop and I wouldn't know; but don't get any ideas, restaurants!). Washing my blender is always a challenge when I'm on the road. This time, I took the dirty blender back to my room and cleaned it as best as I could in the bathtub. Since then, I've asked the restaurants to run the blender through their dishwasher after my meal and it comes out much cleaner.
Supposedly the hotel is haunted

The funeral actually took place at Betsy's grandmother's hometown in Watford City, ND, so in the morning we made the 5-hour drive north for the funeral. We stayed there for lunch at The Main Street Grind. This was a good local place. They were very nice and had no problem with my tubefeeding. After lunch, we opted not to stay in Watford City (not really any hotel to speak of around there) and drove 5 hours back to SD. We stayed an extra couple nights in Rapid City to visit with Betsy's uncles. I ate at Tally's again for one dinner and her uncle Clark's house for another. I also had another breakfast at the hotel and one across the street at a diner. Everyone was very nice and understanding about the way I eat. Even though I brought about 15 Ensures for the trip, I ended up drinking hardly any because I was able to eat out so often. It was a good trial for traveling with the Vitamix and built up my confidence for future trips.
We had a little time for sightseeing. Not sure what I was thinking about here.

Note the iPad in Katie's hand; "Hey Brian, watcha doin"

Growing up, Betsy fondly remembers her family driving from Minnesota to where her grandmother retired in Clearwater, FL, every summer. Her grandmother had a swimming pool (not a common thing when you're from Minnesota), so Betsy and her sisters would get into their swimsuits at about the Alabama/Florida state line in eager anticipation of jumping in the pool. For some sadistic reason, on each visit, her parents would make the girls stand in front of a "Beware of Alligators" sign at a nearby pond for an annual picture. The sisters were petrified that as soon as they turned their back on the pond to smile for the camera, an alligator would jump out and grab them. To assuage their fears, Betsy's grandmother would stand between them and the pond with her hands on her hips as if daring an alligator to try to get her granddaughters. This is how Betsy remembers "Grandma Dottie."
With Grandma Dottie next to the pool Betsy loved, Jan. '05



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog with beautiful pic posting and absolutely writing with helpful information.Thanks for share with us. Hotel Watford

    ReplyDelete